Uh huh, you guessed it!
Today we’re continuing to count down — or in this case, up — to my top 15 things every small kitchen cook must have to have fun and make magic in the beautiful, bitty kitchens they’ve got.
Maestro, drum-roll please!
Our next five!
6. Fresh herbs. ‘Cause, simply put, you can’t beat ‘em. And you don’t need a garden, much space, or even a green thumb. I have a thirty-five square-foot apartment balcony, a thumb that’s light green at best, and it’s a jungle (and my haven) out there. Make one on yours.
7. Clean, open counter space. H-u-g-e huge. My current culinary hero these days is the awesome Tyler Florence. He blew my mind the other day with this equation:
Clean kitchen + Clean Counter Tops = Amazing Cooking
Okay, totally paraphrasing, but what that does mean — especially for the small kitchen cook — is that contrary to conventional belief, you don’t need a lot of space, just to maximize the space you’ve got.
Simple concept that completely changed my life, and I am willing to bet that it’ll do the same for you.
So, translation? If you can put it in a drawer, hang it on a hook, on the wall, or put it on a shelf — take it off the counter.
Do it, do it, do it.
8. Lots and lots of kitchen towels. Toss those oven mitts and pot holders. When do they ever work anyway?
Kitchen towels are an awesome multipurpose tool that clean as well as protect. Use them to grab hot handles and pans. Keep a bunch of them within arm’s reach and smooch those days of precariously pulling that hot baking pan out of the oven goodbye.
9. One great big lovely wood cutting board. I’m saving up my pennies for this one, but once I get it, it’ll last me a lifetime. Next to your stove, this is where you do most of your magic, so make it pleasant and make it count.
10. Inspiration. ‘Cause, truly, what’s cooking without it? For me, it’s heading to the library, checking-out cookbooks, or reading the latest cooking magazines…
Or heading to my local produce market to look at all the glorious fruits, veggies, and goodies just waiting to be scooped up.
What’s your inspiration?
- Top 15 Things Every Small Kitchen Must Have: Part I (smallkitchenchronicles.com)